FINDING HUMOR, FAITH & JOY IN UNEXPECTED PLACES

'ROCK BOTTOM' PEACE ~ 10/17/08

A couple of weeks ago Bill gave us a very profound reminder – “It takes two cups of coffee to be holy.” Well, he said that too, but the profound statement I had in mind was that “The Gospel is for everyone – we proclaim it to the saved as well as the lost in order to remind us of our peace with God. Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Rom. 5:1).

I rediscovered this wonderful verse just a few days ago which seems so appropriate during our time of financial and emotional unrest. “Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails 
and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior(Hab. 3:17,18). For those of you without a 'Bible-speak' decoder implanted in your brains, this verse could perhaps be read like this: "Though the value of the dollar tanks and my retirement is postponed, though my house is worth less now than when I bought it, though I can't afford a full tank of gas and my job application at Tops is now one of one thousand, still I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior."

The ‘peace with God’ regarding all our sin -- past, present and future -- the ‘peace with God’ that is the result of Jesus settling the eternal score of Holiness vs. Evil on the cross – that peace is the root and source of all other peace in our lives. When everything else, economy included, is failing around us – even at our worst moments, we as Christians have the assurance that we can never fall below this spiritual safety net, never fall below the “rock bottom” that is ‘peace with God’ because of Jesus 'my Savior.’ Are you 'still rejoicing?' Remember -- joy and peace aren't parasites on the shrub of happiness, they're fruit on the tree of trust.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit “(Rom. 15:13).

Surrounded By Grace,
Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good news! You don't need to be a registered user to leave a comment on this blog. You can even post anonymously, though I wish you wouldn't. I look forward to your feedback!

*Grace induces faith & Grace is obligated to faith ~ 
WE ARE SURROUNDED BY GRACE!